The First Post!

So, I have been contemplating starting a blog for many months now, but just haven’t gotten around to it.  I am a new mom of 4 ½ month old Eva, I work full-time as an Assistant Branch Manager at a public library, I am a runner currently trying to train for my first half marathon, a wife, a friend, and so on.  I am a busy lady and I couldn’t figure out when on earth I would ever fit in time to blog.

But, I love to read blogs.  I like to read my friends’ blogs to keep up with what’s going on with them, especially since I live far away from many of them.  I also like to read blogs of other moms that work and run.  I feel kind of bad that I read everyone else’s blogs and never post any of my own.  Not that I think folks are clamoring to find out what’s going on in my life, but I expect some people would read it.  At least, I decided to put it out there just in case there is someone interested.  And really, I hope it will help me sort out my own thoughts about the many roles I juggle in my new life as a mom.  

A little background on how I named this blog.  It took me a good week just to come up with the name because I was overthinking it, like I do many things.  I wanted a name that represented the fact that the only thing really consistent in my life at this point is that I am a work in progress.    I am learning how to be a working, running mother who still sees her friends and continues to enjoy life.  I want to be a good mom to Eva but I don’t want to lose those parts of myself that contributed to my identity before she was born.   As I realized when I went back to work after maternity leave, I don’t want to just be Eva’s mom.  I want to be myself but now with a beautiful, healthy, well-adjusted daughter.  And I gotta tell you, that does not come easy.  It takes a lot of work.  

Putting those thoughts into a concise title didn’t come easy either until one day last week.  I was in a meeting at my library’s headquarters and listening to my library director speak about new directions we are going as a library system.  He talked about how our library’s web site and online catalog are in what’s called “perpetual beta” meaning that we have launched them to the public but continue to make efforts to improve them.  Essentially, this software will never be finished because we will always be striving to make it better.  I have been approaching my life in much the same way as the library has approached our online presence and I knew that “perpetual beta,” while technically computer –speak, would be a great name for my blog.

So here it is.  I hope it is interesting and relatable enough to keep you coming back to read it.  And just in case you need some incentive, here is a sneak peak at something you will likely see a lot of in forthcoming posts:











1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your blog! I miss talking to you five times a week.

    ReplyDelete