First Day of Daycare

Well, today is Eva's first day at daycare and it has not been quite as hard on me as I had feared.  At least, dropping her off today went fine. 

Since I go in at noon today, I planned to take Eva up there around 11am so I had time to get her stuff put up and stay for a little bit to help her adjust.  I was running late though because I was trying to get her to take a nap and she was fighting it (something that she has really gotten into of late) and so it took me a while to get her settled.  She ended up sleeping for all of about 10 minutes, if that.

Anyway, once I got there and unloaded the rest of her supplies, I pulled her out of her car seat carrier and held her while she surveyed the room.  All of the other babies were playing in various parts of the room as Alvin and the Chipmunks sang their rendition of some Top 40 song from a few years ago in the background.  At first she didn't want me to put her down, but intense interest in another 6 month old girl in a bouncy seat made her decide that it would probably be okay if I put her down as long as I sat close.

One of the teachers brought over a toy, and Eva was interested, but shy and she turned her head into my arm and leaned toward me like she wanted me to pick her back up.  Instead of picking her up though, I just put my arm around her and took the toy, holding it up so she could examine it further.  She took the toy from me and pretty much forgot about me after that!

I sat on the floor nearby while she worked her way across the play mat, grabbing toys and interacting with a couple of the other babies.  It's a good thing Eva doesn't have much hair because there is a little 9 month old baby there that was grabbing at her head while she pushed herself towards a rubber block toy.

After about 20 minutes, I was satisfied that Eva was enjoying herself and probably wouldn't have even noticed if I left.  I gave her a quick kiss on the head and loaded up my things to leave.  As I walked out and closed the door behind me, I looked back through the door glass to see what Eva's reaction was.  She had seen me leave, but seemed to be fine, as one of the teachers had noticed she had lost one of her socks, and picked her up into her lap to put it back on for her.

So, that was that.  I headed into work with nary a tear and I am anxiously hoping that when I go to pick her up here in 30 minutes, I find a happy little girl who is as excited to see her Mommy as her Mommy is to see her!

No comments:

Post a Comment