The 10 Miler That Wasn't

So my training plan for my upcoming 10K prescribed a 10 miler as my long run for this Sunday.  Last week, I knocked out an 8 mile long run on Sunday that was fantastic and I had every intention of doing the 10 miler this weekend. 

Of course, you see where this is going.

I was good about getting all my other runs in throughout the week and even ran an extra couple of miles since I opted to go for a quick run on what is normally a rest day.  It is so nice to have the time and just WANT to get out there for a run. 

As the weekend drew closer, I eventually decided that I would push my 10 miler to Monday instead of Sunday.  Kyle and I had some things we wanted to take care of on Sunday and nothing really planned for the Monday holiday, so it made sense to me to move the long run.  I still went out for a quick 3 miler on Sunday and figured I'd get the 10 miler done late morning on Monday.

But then Monday comes and there are some housework things I really wanted to finish up first, so I did those things.  Then Eva went down for an afternoon nap, but I wasn't sure how long she would sleep and I knew I'd be gone nearly 2 hours on a 10 miler, so I decided to read a little while she napped.  She slept for almost 2 hours!  I should have gone but I didn't.  Then we had to run to the store for a little bit and before I knew it, it was nearly 5pm and I had to take Eva out on any run I planned to do by then because Kyle was working in the yard and couldn't watch her. 

There is no way I was going to run 10 miles pushing that jogging stroller.  I love it, but I don't love it that much! 

So I loaded her up and went out on a 5 miler instead.  I feel good that I got out there and got another 5 miles under my belt, especially when I was pretty close to scrapping the whole running plan for the day.  I know the purpose of the 10 miler for this week and next is to help me reach my time goal for my 10k but I have a hard time believing that I really need to complete two 10 mile runs in the weeks before the race in order to run it in under an hour. 

So while I haven't completely ruled out the idea of running next week's training 10 miler, I am getting closer and closer to deciding that another 8 miler will be sufficient.

We shall see!

2 comments:

  1. Doing five miles is definitely better than no miles! Plus it sounds like you're doing plenty of training on the other days. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely don't need 2 10s in under your belt in prep for a 10K. You'll do just great having missed, or really cut short, that long run.

    ReplyDelete