Inaugural Plaza 10K Race Report

Here I am right before Kyle and I headed out to the Inaugural Plaza 10K race at about 6:30am on Sunday, September 18th.  This race marked Kyle's 2nd 10K and my first.

Our neighbors came over to watch Eva while we were gone.  She was still asleep in her crib when we left.

The weather was not ideal.  The temps were in the upper 50s to low 60s and it was drizzling rain pretty much the entire time.  In fact, I believe there were about 1600 people registered for the race, but only about 800-900 actual participants.  I have run a race in cold, drizzling weather before, but I was pregnant and it was early spring, so it felt much colder and miserable than this race did.  I also think my new pink running hat helped me stay comfortable.

I thought I knew where the race start was, but once we got down to Kansas City's Country Club Plaza, we saw some mile marker signs that made us think it was somewhere else, so we ended up parking a ways away from the start/finish line.  We counted our walk to the start as our warm-up.  After I made it through the portapotty line for a last minute bathroom break, Kyle and I lined up towards the back of the pack.  Kyle admittedly had not trained very well for this race, so he planned to maintain and slow and steady pace.  His goal was merely to finish the race, hopefully without having to stop and walk. 

My goal was to run the 10K in under an hour.  I wanted to start the race with Kyle though, and I figured I'd get that first mile in with him nice and slow to help keep me from burning out too fast.  When the Garmin beeped at 1 mile, my time was just over 10 minutes.  I don't have my Garmin with me to upload the splits, but I remember the gist of it.  Kyle said he felt like he needed to slow down a bit, and I knew in order to make my goal, I needed to speed up, so we said our goodbyes and I peaced out. 

Mile 2 was a slow uphill, which was kind of tough especially when I expected a "flat and fast course."  Nonetheless, I hit the 2nd mile around 9:45.  Most of the course was relatively flat, especially after training in my hilly neighborhood pushing a jogging stroller for many of my runs.  For the next 3 miles, I managed splits between 9:15 and 9:45.  I still felt really good and knew I was going to finish the race strong, even if I didn't meet my sub one hour goal.  My 6th mile was about 8:45 and before I knew it, I was crossing the finish line.  My final time: 59.52. I did it!  Just barely :)

Once I finished, I went and got some water, and what had been a steady drizzle of rain started to become a downpour.  I went back to the finish line to watch Kyle come in.  He did great!  He finished the whole thing without walking!  He did end up with some unfortunate chafing due to running 6 miles in wet clothes, but he is over that now and he is inspired to put some more effort into training regularly to try to get faster. 

On the way home, we stopped to get some bagels and coffee for our awesome neighbors, since they came over at the crack of dawn to help us out with Eva.

Overall it was a good race and a great experience.  It would have been nice if the weather had been better, but I really like the 10K as a racing distance. 

I am not signed up for any races at this time, but I may look into a 5K or two this fall before winter sets in.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the race! I feel like completing a race in the rain makes you feel like that much more of a bad ass, so even though it's temporarily uncomfortable it helps with your runner's high!