Monster Dash 5K

Last Saturday night, Kyle and I ran in Kansas City's Monster Dash 5K, held in one of KC's historic districts, the City Market.  Costumes are encouraged for this run, but I wasn't interested in coming up with some sort of get-up that would be functional enough for running in.  Besides, I don't run many 5ks and I wanted to take this opportunity to see if I could PR.  I didn't see how running in a costume would help me do that, so I didn't even remotely consider it. 

 

I loosely followed a training plan for the race, starting about 6 weeks ago.  I would run 3 or 4 milers on Tuesdays, do interval training or a tempo run on Wednesdays, run a 3 miler on Thursdays and then do a short run on Saturdays and a longer run on Sundays.  Most weeks, I didn't actually get all of these workouts in, but I would usually make sure to at least get a short run in during the week and a longer one on the weekend, and work in some intervals here and there when I was already out on a run.  I felt like the intervals were helping me get faster, but at times it was hard to tell because I had to do most of my training runs with the jogging stroller.  It always slows me down.

 

Well, turns out my training and the cool blast of weather we had the day of the race actually did help me PR!  My time was 26:53.8.  I definitely started out too fast, but the course began with some steep downhills, so it felt fine at first.  But, it was an out and back course, so coming up those hills in the last mile was killer and I had positive splits for all 3 miles of the race.  Nonetheless, my goal was 9 minute miles and I made that goal and set a new 5K PR!

 

On a side note, Kyle ended up dressing up like Batman.  He said I should have worn a nametag that said Robin, so everyone could be in on the joke.  The guy at packet pick-up totally caught on to it fast though when he went to look for my shirt as I stood next to Kyle dressed as Batman.

 

Here is my picture from the race. You'll see Kyle in the Batman costume right behind me. It looks like he's chasing me (kind of) and I am trying frantically to get away!

It was a small race, so I came in 9th in my age group and 97th overall.  I think that's the highest I have ever placed in a race, so that was exciting, too.


I think I am going to take a break from racing for a few months.  I'll keep running and staying active, but I am going to relax on my training and start racing again in January.  There is a fun 5K they do in the caves then that I hope to get signed up for.  That was my first race ever back in 2009 and I haven't gotten signed up in time any year since.  It's a popular race!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment