Gettin' It Done

Eva is now 5 years old.  I can't believe it myself, but she will be going into kindergarten this fall.

Last summer, she kept asking about doing some sort of activity.  We put her in T-Ball when she was 3, but she didn't really catch on or show much interest in it, so I didn't think she'd want to do that again.  She said she wanted to do cheer leading or dance, so we found a ballet school right in our town (which has a huge amount of gymnastics, martial arts, and dance academies for a city our size, I must say) and enrolled her in a Creative Movement class once a week last September.

She really, really enjoys it and her teacher has recommended she move up to pre-ballet this September.  Her class is comprised of about 7 girls, ages 4 to 6.  They are learning the general ballet terms and proper positioning of hands and feet.  Eva really pays attention and follows all of the teacher's instruction, even when some of the other students are goofing off or having trouble maintaining attention.  It doesn't matter to me if she does dance or something else, or nothing right now for that matter, but she has asked to continue ballet over the summer and into the fall, so I guess that is what we'll do for now.



The class is every Tuesday night at 5:45pm, so I usually get Eva from school and take her to dance while Kyle will get Jonah from daycare and take him home.  The class is a 40 minute class and parents are not allowed in the studio during practice, so I usually bring a book or surf the web on my phone in the waiting room.

This week, however, I didn't want to waste my time sitting in the waiting room.  I have been in a really good groove of running most days over the past few weeks, and I knew I would miss my opportunity to get a run in due to ballet last night, unless I planned ahead.

I checked the weather for the day and saw that it was set to be a gorgeous, mild and warm afternoon with no chance of rain.  I packed up my running gear in my gym bag and threw it in my trunk when I was home for lunch yesterday.  I knew I would only have 40 minutes to get my run done and get back to the dance studio, so I got onto the Running Ahead web site to map out an easy 3 mile route in the area around the ballet studio, that I should be able to knock out in about 30-35 minutes.  After work, I quickly changed into my running clothes at work and went to pick up Eva from daycare.

Once Eva went in to start her class, I ventured out on my run.  I picked up the pace a little more than what was comfortable for an easy run, because I really wanted to make sure I got back before her class let out.  I took my Garmin 610 to keep track of my pace, mileage, and time and got back to the studio with about 3 minutes to spare.

It felt good to take control of my day and get that run taken care of, when normally I would have just used Eva's ballet class as an excuse not to get in any sort of run or workout for the day.  I hope to make this a habit that will help push my weekly mileage back up into the 20s on a regular basis.

It is so great to have a passion for running again.  Ever since I began running regularly in 2008, I feel like I am just not quite myself if I am not maintaining a steady schedule of running, even when I am mentally just burned out on it.  I always do some sort of cardio workouts, but nothing is quite like running when it comes to feeling strong, accomplished, and managing stress.  Eva has even taken interest in it, and asks to run with me sometimes.  She can usually only go about half a mile at most, but that's pretty good for a preschooler, if you ask me.  Maybe she'll grow up to be my running partner in a few years?

No comments:

Post a Comment