Is blogging still a thing?

Hellooo out there?  Is anyone still around?

It has been years *gasp* since I blogged and I can't remember the last time I even read someone else's blog, actually.  So many of the blogs I used to follow have gone away and some have spread into Facebook, so I follow them over there.  Youtube is also a huge thing, so I do follow a lot of vloggers over there-- mostly fitness and beauty.  But reading a good ole blog?  Not so much.

If you are there, you may be wondering what inspired me to blog again.  Well, I love going back to reading my old posts from years ago.  It is a diary of my life at a time when I was running frequently, working in a place I really enjoyed, and had just had my first child.  I look back on that time fondly, and I really like to relive it through reading my old blogs on occasion.

Thing is, I can only reread 47 blog posts so often before I start wishing that I had done a better job of maintaining my posts.  There are whole blocks of time that I neglected to write about, and I would really have liked to have some written documentation of them.  But alas, I can't go back in time and have a do over.  I can, however, do a favor to my future self and pick back up, and that's what I intend on doing.

Let me provide a recap of my life over the past few years.  A few months after my last post in the fall of 2012, I got a promotion and started working at a different location.  That location required a 45-60 minute commute in each direction daily, and there were all kinds of challenges with scheduling and staffing that I, as a new manager, was totally unprepared for.  About 7 months into my tenure in the new position, I became pregnant with my son, who is now 2 years old.

That pregnancy was harder on me than my first for several reasons.  The morning sickness and fatigue were worse than with my first child, so for the entire first half of my pregnancy, I felt horrible pretty much all of the time.  The second half of the pregnancy provided some relief from morning sickness, but the fatigue remained, and I had lots of issues with swelling.

Combine these physical discomforts with mounds of stress I was feeling due to my long commute and the issues I was learning to manage as a part of my new job responsibilities, and you would be right to think that I wasn't at my happiest point professionally at that time.  On maternity leave, I had pretty much decided that I would go back to work long enough to offset my FMLA/paid leave and the insurance premiums that were taken care of while I was off with my newborn, and then I would be putting in my notice and becoming a stay-at-home mom for a while.

I really enjoyed my maternity leave and had balanced our household budget so that it wouldn't be financially necessary for me to continue working.  I learned a long time ago that there is rarely a good reason to stay in a job that makes you miserable, so I had no intention of doing so.

It was not necessary for me to resign, however.  Another manager position became available in the town where I live just a week before I was slated to return from maternity leave.  It would be a lateral move, but one that would be put me a mere 10 minutes away from my home and allow me to work more closely with my previous boss as her colleague, which is something I had missed when I left to pursue my promotion a year and a half previously.

I was selected for the position and within 2 weeks of returning from maternity leave, I was working in my new location and finding so much more happiness being close to home, working with people that I was familiar with from years spent in the branch nearby before my promotion.  I realized that much of my stress and unhappiness was due to being originally placed in a branch that was just not a good fit for me and my personality or leadership style.   I have been in my current location for almost 2 years now, and I am so relieved to find happiness and contentment here.

As soon as I realized that I had found a good fit professionally, my husband and I decided it was time to find a new home that would be a better fit for our larger family.  We had lived in our 1970's era raised ranch home for 11 years and with 2 children and 2 dogs, we felt like it was time to look for a more modern home with more living and storage space - a 2 story house!  We stayed in the same town, of course, because we truly love the community where we live.

So that's the news - I changed jobs, houses, and had another child in the years since I last updated this blog.  I feel like I am again in a good place, and though I have taken many a hiatus from running for various reasons, I happen to be back in action in recent weeks, averaging 17 miles a week.  I have not run any races since November of 2014, but I am considering some this summer and fall.

It is funny to look back at my old posts about trying to find time to run with a baby.  Now, I have 2 kiddos to contend with, and I have not invested in a double jogging stroller!

So welcome back...me.  I look forward to documenting more running, more family memories, and more professional milestones.  And if I pick up some readers again, well that is just icing on the cake.
Here are some pictures to get you up to speed.

At the Royals Game - May 2014



Halloween 2015
At the Royals World Series Rally - November 2015

Christmas 2015

Easter 2016
At the Zoo - April 2016





2 comments:

  1. I'm still here Rob! I look forward to getting updated on you and the family. Love and miss you guys.

    It's Nicole:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Love and miss you too, Nic :)

    ReplyDelete