Littlest Runner

I have a new runner in the household, and she's got energy!

Eva has shown interest in running with me, so last Thursday, I told her that she could run with me a little bit after I finished up with my normal post-work run.  Usually, when I plan to go out for a run after work, Kyle picks up the kids from school and I just go straight home, lace up, and head out.

Since I get off around 5pm on most days, that gives me plenty of time to get a 3 or 4 miler in by the time Kyle and the kiddos arrive at home.  Then I am able to hang out with Eva and Jonah for a bit while Kyle gets supper going.  I told Eva that I would go out and run 3 miles and then meet her back at the house to venture out on a one miler.  She was game and happily donned her "running" clothes and shoes once she got home.

Jonah wanted very badly to go for a run with us, but I kind of wanted this to be a girls outing, and aside from pushing him the jogging stroller, he wouldn't be able to make it very far on his little 2 year old legs.

We headed out and I estimated a short one mile loop into the neighborhood behind our subdivision, by the elementary school Eva will be going to in the fall, and around by our neighborhood pool. Starting out, Eva had a pretty quick pace.  I was already tired from working all day and doing 3 miles before she joined me, so I was dragging a bit and figuring that she'd need a walk break soon, since she obviously went out too fast in the beginning.

I was wrong about that.  She maintained a pretty even pace and didn't need to stop until we hit a steep uphill, which was actually at about the 1.1 mile mark (as I didn't measure an exact mile).  She did want to walk the uphill, but picked back up running the .15 miles back around to our driveway.  The mile we did run was about 12:30, which is slower than my normal pace, but faster than I would have expected her to be able to maintain for a whole mile.  I am super-impressed.

Now, she keeps asking me when she is going to get to run with me again and can we go 5 miles next time.  I told her we could do a mile together a few more times and then see about going a mile and half after that.  Kyle suggested we look at signing her up for a kids fun run, which I am not opposed to doing, but for right now, I would just like to let her have the chance to just run, for fun, and spend some quality time with me.  If, after a while, she's still really into it, then we can see about letting her race.

Yesterday was Mother's Day and I had planned on getting a 4 miler in before going to brunch, but my sis called to chat for a while and I decided to skip the run so that we could eat at a decent time.  It was a rainy, stormy afternoon, which made for great napping and the kids played in the rain a little bit before supper.  All in all, it was a nice day!







No comments:

Post a Comment